Report a Birth Abroad

Types of Visas for Kids
K1 Visa Philippines
Approval Rating 99.8%

Reuniting Couples Since 2003

Are you a US Citizen with a Biological Child Born in the Philippines?

Report A Birth Abroad
Each year there are K1/CR1 Couples that get pregnant in the Philippines.

Fiance Spouse Visa

Report A Birth Abroad US Citizens with Child in the Philippines

If you have a Filipino Fiance or Spouse that is pregnant?

If you’re Fiance or Spouse do not get their Visa in time to have the baby on US soil, then you must register the child with the US Embassy.


What Happens if Pregnant:

Every Year we have some couples who hire us for a K1 Fiancee Visa and some for a CR1 Spouse visa and ask if there’s any way we can expedite their visa process because of a pregnancy?

Often times the pregnancy causes extra hardship on the Couple and more cost, more time and for the sponsor, more income requirements.


So far we have not had any of our clients make it to the USA to give birth as all have given birth in the Philippines.



Report A Birth Abroad



Perhaps the best time to become pregnant would be when you already have an I-129F Petition at USCIS say 4 months or longer or get pregnant when the sponsor comes to the Philippines to be a part of the US Embassy interview or after the medical and interview are all finished.

But it seems most get pregnant while on vacation and then the pregnancy prompts the Couple to start the I-129F process ASAP which is most likely not going to help get the fiancee to the USA and quicker.



Giving Birth in The Philippines:

We have had several Couples throughout the years that got pregnant and all of those gave birth in the Philippines and had to hold off on their St. Luke’s medical exams and US Embassy Interviews in order to get the newborn registered at the US Embassy for US Citizenship.

Then once that has been taken care of which generally eats up a couple of months to complete, then the K1 Applicant proceeded to their medical and embassy interview.



Report A Birth Abroad



Report Birth Abroad.

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth.

The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240 which is a basic United States citizenship document.

Who is Responsible for doing this:

Generally, the US parent should be the one to contact the US Embassy to get the process started.


Although the mother can also proceed at this as the importance of reporting the birth ASAP is going to be in you’re best interest.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.


For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA,

Please refer to Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship.


Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in possession of a valid U.S passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country, as well.



Report A Birth Abroad



Legitimization of U.S. Citizen:

Persons born out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen father and non-U.S. citizen mother and not legitimated by the natural parent’s subsequent marriage can be legitimated under the Immigration and Nationality Act by one of two methods indicated below.

Method 1: 
The person can be legitimated if:

  • While the person is under the age of 18 years old, the father acknowledged paternity of the person in writing under oath or the paternity of the person was established by adjudication of a competent court,  and

  •  Before the applicant reached the age of 18, the father (unless deceased before the applicant’s 18th birthday) agreed in writing and under oath to provide financial support for the applicant until the applicant reaches the age of 18 years old.

Method 2:  
The U.S. citizen father must demonstrate that he:

  •  had legal residence in any of the States in the U.S. (after his child’s birth and before the age by which legitimization must occur),  and

  •  has met that state’s legal requirements to legitimate the child, then the laws of that state may legitimate the applicant.


Blood Relationship:

A biological relationship with the child/applicant and the claimed U.S. citizen parent must be established. 


The burden of proving the blood relationship is on the person making the claim to U.S. citizenship. 

When no substantive form of credible evidence is available in conjunction with a CRBA application, a parent may find genetic testing to be a useful tool for confirming a stated biological relationship.



Report A Birth Abroad




Do not initiate a DNA test unless it is recommended by the Embassy for your pending CRBA application. 


A DNA test that is done independently will not be accepted to support a CRBA or Passport application.  For more information, read the DNA Procedures.


Learn more about DNA testing, go here for (English Version..)


How to Get Started:

All appointments for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and Adult Derivative Citizenship applications at U.S. Embassy Manila will be made through a mail-in appointment scheduling system in order to provide better service to our clients. 

The system will reduce the wait time for appointments and help families prepare for their citizenship appointment at the Embassy. 


Please follow the instructions below.





Report A Birth Abroad





A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), FS-240, is an official record of U.S. citizenship issued to a person under age 18 who was born abroad to United States citizen parent(s) and acquired citizenship at birth.


Schools, the Social Security Agency, and other institutions throughout the United States accept it and give it the same credence they give to birth certificates issued by state authorities in the United States.



Report A Birth Abroad



Only the child’s biological parent or legal guardian, preferably the U.S. citizen parent, can apply for a CRBA. 


Either parent, including a non-U.S. citizen parent, may execute and sign this application. 


If it will be signed and executed by a legal guardian, a special power of attorney from the parent(s) or guardianship affidavit must be submitted.  

The application must be made before the child’s 18th birthday and the child must make a personal appearance at the U.S. Embassy.

US Embassy Manila Philippines (Getting Started..)





You need to download and bring this Checklist for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) (Get the checklist..)


Associated Fees:

The fee for a Consular Report of Birth is $100. The fee for a child’s passport under 16 is $105; for those 16 and over, the fee is $135.

The cashier at the Embassy accepts cash (either dollars or pesos) and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, or Diner’s Club).


Courier Delivery Fee

Upon approval, the CRBA will be delivered by the courier. You may pay the courier fee, which may vary depending on the delivery address, on the day of the appointment at the Embassy.

Report A Birth Abroad